Heritage Alive! is a series of FREE 45-minute programs designed by BCRI that engage young learners with weekly interactive activities.
Heritage Alive! features one book each month with new activities presented each week. Lead teachers attending the program will receive a copy of the book, the month’s syllabus and a bibliography of related books for young readersBenefits of Heritage Alive!:
- Improves students‘ literacy skills through the introduction of books and stories written and illustrated by African Americans
- Helps foster children’s understanding of other cultures and people
- Increases students’understanding of similarities and differences of people
- Encourages students to enjoy reading and to become life long learners
Reserve Your Place Today! Contact Yvette Chatman at (205) 328-9696, ext. 249.
Community of Readers
The Community of Readers program at BCRI aims to bridge the gap between literacy and parental involvement by instructing families about better reading habits, promoting local parents’ belief in their own capabilities as educational mentors, and using books to enhance the time that families spend together.
Parent Plus Program
This innovative program is designed to motivate, inspire and educate parents using technology, community resources, and literature. The program, which is part of the Birmingham Cultural Alliance Partnership (BCAP), meets monthly at Hudson Elementary, Green Acres Middle School, and BCRI.
The goals of the program are:
1) Enhance and improve family communication.
2) Express and demonstrate knowledge of personal parenting skills and styles.
3) Develop a positive self-belief and esteem for self and all
4) Increase parents’ knowledge of community resources and how to access them.
For more information, contact Yvette Chatman at 205-328-9696, x 239 or email@example.com