Birmingham Pledge Teen Summit
This annual event brings together students from area school districts for a daylong conference and workshop to discuss the “Birmingham Pledge" in their lives as well as diversity issues and solutions. The Birmingham Pledge is a promise not to discriminate against individuals because of their race or color, and to actively oppose racial prejudice. Designed and led by student facilitators, the workshops provide students with the mediation and reconciliation skills and tools they need to resolve racial problems in their schools. Registration is required at 328-9696 x 246.
- I believe that every person has worth as an individual. I believe that every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race or color.
- I believe that every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful; if it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
- Therefore, from this day forward I will strive daily to eliminate racial prejudice from my thoughts and actions
- I will discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
- I will treat all people with dignity and respect; and I will strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.